Saturday, December 18, 2010

New version 1.0.10 of Dropbox released

Just a couple of days ago, a new version of the online file sync and backup utility Dropbox was released. It now supports selective sync, allowing certain folders only to be synchronised across different PCs, instead of just everything. I've just installed it on two of my Linux machines, with no ill effects. I followed the instructions shown on the Dropbox forums here, with a slight modification as shown here. I'll describe it here as well, in a way that doesn't involve using the command line (if that isn't your bag, baby):

Step 1: Delete the .dropbox-dist directory, found in your home directory. You may have to hit control+h to show the hidden files and directories in Nautilus.

Step 2: Run Dropbox, from the Applications -> Internet -> Dropbox menu

Dropbox will then start, popping up a box asking whether you would like to download the proprietary daemon. Click Yes to that (else it won't work), and it should start up.

I'll be interested to see if it has overcome the problem it had with the previous version on my laptop, where it didn't seem to like the encrypted home directory, and would often crash on startup. I've tried one reboot so far, it came up OK, so I'll keep an eye on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment